While taking care of an older family member or loved one is one of the greatest gifts a person can give, it often results in high levels of stress and loss of self for the caregiver. One 1 in every 5 people in the United States is currently a caregiver, the majority of whom are women. Did you know:
- That caregivers report having health problems almost twice as often as non caregivers?
- That ½ of those caregivers spend 10 percent of their income on caregiving expenses?
- That up to 70% of caregivers suffer from depression and/or isolation?
- That many caregivers are unaware of the educational tools available to support them?
In response to these issues, Caregiver SOS is here to help you be a WISE and well caregiver with:
- Wellness programs for you and your loved one,
- Information to take advantage of all available community resources,
- Support to help you connect to other caregivers, including professionals, if needed, and
- Education about disease, stress, burnout, and many other topics.
Caregiver SOS supports for you include:
Caregiver SOS Centers are safe and confidential resource centers where caregivers and family members can chat with other caregivers, and find out about wellness activities, information, support, and education.
Caregiver SOS email News Blast is an electronic, monthly publication for family caregivers to keep abreast of resources that can help them. You can sign up to receive a copy automatically every month by clicking on the link in the Newsletter.
Caregiver Teleconnection is a series of free and confidential telephone learning sessions on specific caregiver topics offered in English or Spanish where you can get expert advice and learn from other caregivers by simply calling the number provided at registration.
Stress-Busting for Family Caregivers is an evidence-informed program that teaches caregivers how to best handle stress. For more information and registration, simply go to this link.